Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Old89ers Top 10 Favorite Albums of All Time #1: In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel


And making their debut on the Old 89ers Top 10 Favorite Albums of All Time Countdown is an act that rose up the charts like a shooting star in reverse to land firmly at the toppest of spots. Yes, you can read, it's Neutral Milk Hotel with their classic album "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea".
I cherish this album. I dust it off and give it a listen about once a year. That day is like Christmas. This album is probably the closest thing I have to a religion. If Jeff Mangum created a cult and asked me to move to a commune with him I would gladly take the role of Tex Watson to his Charles Manson. And I would drink all the kool-aid without reservation. He would teach me how to be a snake handler and to speak in tongues. We would put needles under our toenails and drink citrus juices together to cleanse our bodies of impurities. There we would live in peace and harmony offering our prayers and fasting up to Anne Frank until the ATF burned our complex down. Yes, I love this record. Jeff Mangum sings like an angel. Not the cute bare-assed cherubs with perfect pitch but like an angel that's been banished from paradise and is forced to walk the earth and witness mankind's atrocities until the end of times. His voice is a heavenly trumpet spitting shards of glass that pierce my skull, providing a much needed bloodletting. In my opinion, it's a pretty cool record. Let's just leave it at that for now, okay?

No comments: