Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Top 10 Comic Book Artists Working Today Countdown List Extravaganza (According to Me, with All Due Respect to You.) #5

I'm listening to the spare and beautiful track by Mihály Vig posted right below this entry and I'm thinking it is a very fitting track as a nice audio companion to the work of the next artist on my list. Please join me. Download the track that suits so well the work of the artist known to me and you as...

# 5. P. Craig Russell

I've always been especially drawn to Illustration. It's no surprise that many of my all-time favorite comic artists are those who are able to successfully marry the sensibilities of illustration with strong storytelling ability. For my money, the greatest comic book illustrator is P. Craig Russell. From his Elric work to the "Ramadan" issue of Sandman, I've loved his elegant, flowing line work. His recent Sandman: The Dream Hunters comic adaption of Neil Gaiman's novel of the same name reminded once again how great an illustrator and sequential storyteller this guy really is.

No comments: