Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Top 10 Comic Book Artists Working Today Countdown List Extravaganza (According to Me, with All Due Respect to You.) #2


Ya ever had these Planters "Heat Peanuts"? They're real nice n' spicy. Gonnna have a glass of Boulevard with lemon here too in a minute, but first, it's...

#2. Mike Allred

Everything Allred does is just cool and interesting. His art reminds you a bit of animation cells, but with really great (and always very experimental) sequential storytelling chops. He plays with the restrictions of page and panel more than anyone else I know of - stretching the boundaries of what can be done in a standard comic book format. His creator-owned Madman comic is where his virtuosity is showcased the most, but whenever he pops up elsewhere (recent God Sized Thor one-shot, his X-Statix run) I tend to ignore the text and look at the pretty pictures. The fact that his wife Laura does all of his coloring gives all of his stuff a consistent and quickly recognizable quality. Damn! Comics are Sweet, Son!

3 comments:

Deutero Isaiah said...

For some reason I have no idea who #1 is going to be! I probably would have guessed Mike Allred would be your #1, or even Grant Morrison. Hmmm.. is Simonson still working? Kriby is dead, right?

YoungDayofAllDays said...

Yeah, I actually dropped the ball on Simonson. He should have been on the list. I guess I didn't consider him to be currently working, which was a mistake. know he's had things published at least within the past couple years. He might even be a part of the upcoming "Wednesday Comics", but I'm not sure if it will be as writer or artist.

You didn't guess #1. I'll post it later today sometime after the big USA-Brasil match.

Deutero Isaiah said...

I actually wasn't all that serious about Simonson- I had no idea he was still doing stuff. That's cool to hear.

I wish I could watch the match - you'll have to let us know how it went when you post your #1.