Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Bastards of Young



I just watched the new documentary about The Replacements called "Color Me Obsessed" at the Trylon Microcinema a few days ago, and it was pretty awesome. It wasn't a typical documentary, though--there was no footage at all of The Replacements, and no interviews with any of them. Almost no pictures, even. I'm not sure what the story is behind that, but I'm guessing it was done on a small budget. Definitely worth seeing, though, and it made me track down some of their music. They also talked about this 1986 performance on Saturday Night Live--I guess the band tore the hell out of their dressing room and got banned for life from SNL.

3 comments:

YoungDayofAllDays said...

check out the dude from The Hold Steady and the dude from Titus Andronicus cover themselves some 'Mats: http://pitchfork.com/news/44670-watch-craig-finn-and-titus-andronicus-patrick-stickles-cover-the-replacements/

YoungDayofAllDays said...

btw. i fucking love the replacements and am reminded of it every couple of years. as i get older and care less for "Rock" music (i.e. energetic blues created by the irrational mind) it takes the Replacements to kick me in the balls and remind me that Rock is just as legitimate as anything else, sonically. top 5 Rock bands of all time - for sure, and I'll clothesline any punk mutherfucker who argues.

Deutero Isaiah said...

cool! those two guys were both interviewed for that documentary--they were in it quite a bit. and i agree about ball-kicking effect of the replacements.