Saturday, July 2, 2011

Henrik Wergeland; A Statue, a Park.


Back in college, maybe 1995 or '96, I worked on a little photo project where I took a series of photos of the Henrik Wergeland statue in Fargo's Island Park. Although the statue as subject matter was interesting to me - I like the pose, something about the stance says 'piss off' - the project was more about the great variation in the backdrop of Island Park.

The four seasons represent themselves well in that setting. The snow, the rain, the skeletal fall tree-branches, the snow covered Henrik, the oppressive silver-gray of the land and sky in both autumn and spring; all just looked very cool to me.

I found a couple of those photos randomly in a box recently. The rest are lost (in fact, I suspect that many more exist undeveloped on rolls of film in a landfill somewhere; not enough money for food = undeveloped film).

In any case, this morning while walking Ike through the park, I had my phone. Here is a silhouetted Henrik for old time's (old time?) sake.

Saturday morning, Early July, 7:15 AM. With Parks and Recs employees watering plants behind me.

No developing needed.

1 comment:

Culfrw said...

as someone who's had rolls of undeveloped film languishing in the closet, i sympathize with 'not enough money for food=undeveloped film'. although it's more of shame and sloth than lack of funds in my case.

-someone who wanders the net.