Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Old89ers Top 10 Favorite Albums of All Time #5: If You're Feeling Sinister by Belle and Sebastian


If You’re Feeling Sinister Personal F.A.C.T. Sheet (Not to replace anybody else’s If You’re Feeling Sinister Personal F.A.C.T. Sheet)

- One of the greatest album titles of the 20th century

- Contains several of the cleverest song names around (The Stars of Track and Field, Like Dylan in the Movies, and for its stark and minimalistic imagery, I’m partial to The Fox in the Snow)

- Holds together as well as any other album for both a 1) unified listen-all-the-way-through to a 2) collection of songs that could have been successfully released as 10 individual top-selling 45 rpm singles in an alternate time and place and space and universe

- One of my last great Walkman albums (before I got my first mp3 player). Interestingly, I’m sure that of the 100 or so times I’ve listened to this record, at least 85 of them were when I was walking and/or outside.

- Incidentally, of the 100 or so times I’ve listened to this album, about 90 of them were listened to on a dubbed, grey, Maxell 90-minute tape that had Built to Spill’s Keep it Like a Secret on the other side (another amazing album)

- If You’re Feeling Sinister and Keep it Like a Secret will therefore always be linked in my mind. (I always played through the entirety of each side in order to get to the other side so as to prolong battery-life by not fast-forwarding or rewinding)

- Me and the Major makes me want to Bop

- MANY of my all-time favorite pop lyrics are on this album, but for a quick and witty punch, can (?!) you beat “if you’re feeling sinister / go off and see a minister / He’ll try in vain to take away to pain of being a hopeless unbeliever”

- This album made living in the worst apartment of my life a little bit more bearable

- Get Me Away from Here, I'm Dying is so damned unintentionally (I think…) hopeful (and I love that)

- This record made me want to visit Glasgow twelve-or-so-years-ago (and still does)

- Isobell Campbell!

No comments: