Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Old89ers Top 10 Favorite Albums of All Time #8 (part 1 of 2 due to TIE!): And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out by Yo La Tengo


This album is so dreamy. Not like David Hasselhoff's abs are dreamy but like those dreams where nothing extraordinary is really happening. Just the daily routine where everything is normal yet somehow impossibly off in the most pleasant of ways. Does this make sense yet? No? Well, let's just lower your expectations right now. I may be many things (lover, fighter etc.) but, unlike my fellow Old 89ers, I'm not a writer and I'll be doing this all wrong. Just so you know.

This is one of my all time favorite albums ever because I can listen to it anywhere, anytime and it fits the mood. Summer nights and long drives, skinning raccoons or playing board games with the family. It's a red wine for cooking shellfish and a white wine that goes well with beef tartar. This doesn't make any sense. I am possessed by the ghost of Dave Barry.
It's a collection of lullabies for the middle-aged or middle-aged at heart. And a whole lot more. It embraces the mundane with a subtle sense of humor and grace.

The first song on the record pretty much sums it all up for me. So, here are the lyrics and a fan made video:


"I want summer's sad songs behind me
I want a laugh a minute without fail
Want to be Paul Le Mat in 1980
Looking to forget tomorrow, looking everyday
I want to see you put your hands together
I want to cross my heart, I want to hope to die
I hear Kate Moss talk, she talks to me
She's looking for a new beginning everyday
When Monday comes I want nothing
Come Tuesday morning I want the same
The days and nights fly by
Looking to embrace the nothing of the everyday"

No comments: