Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Old89ers Top 10 Favorite Albums of All Time #2: Left and Leaving by The Weakerthans


Once upon a time this touring band from Winnepeg (can't remember their name) played a show at a house I was living in during the late 90's and they gave my roommate an advance copy of the Weakerthans first album "Fallow". We first listened to it while the touring band snickered good-naturedly at John K. Samson's lyrics and his nasally voice. Over time this advance CD became a prized treasure to my roommates and me. Listening was restricted to the owner's room and periodically we would sit on the floor there and request our favorite songs.
I still prize the songs of the Weakerthans. They remind me of my humanity and comfort me. They are like a dose of sanity in this crazy, mixed-up world and if I could say this like it should be said and have it not sound cheesy maybe I could write a song as good as this:

No comments: